Have you seen the photo of Marian’s Back to School Supply Store? Â Each year I purchase school supplies and pay anywhere from 1-25 cents for the majority of the items I purchase.
This is how I do it.
1) Each week from July 1 – September 15, Â I check the Sunday (and online) circulars for Back to School specials. I note on each circular: the end date for the sale; what items I want from that store; any free items with purchase; maximum number of items I can purchase; any coupons.
2) I keep all of the circulars in a folder and the folder with me when I shop.
3) Shop my route. Â For example on Mondays my route takes me past a Rite-Aid, Walgreens, Target, and Office Depot. Â 10 minutes in and out at each location. Another route takes me past an Office Max and Office Depot.
4) Take the kids. Â Most stores have a maximum number of items that you can purchase. Â Split the order between you and each child, give them cash and let them pay for a purchase.
5) Only shop the deals.
What Can You Expect in the Way of Discounts?
Office Depot has rulers, vinyl storage pouches and single subject spiral notebooks for 1 cents each.
Frys Electronics has 150 sheets notebook filler paper for 25 cents, Mead Composition Books for 25 cents.
Walgreen has backpacks and lunch boxes BOGO free; Expo Dry Erase Marker sets $1.99, Papermate Highlighters 6 pack for 49 cents.
What Other Deals & Discounts Available
JC Pennys is offering free haircuts through the month of August for K-6.
Office Max, Old Navy and Payless Shoes have coupon promotions. Â Check your receipt for coupons for discounts at other retailers.
Links for stores with promotions
Click on the link to go to their site. Â Look for a link on this week’s circular.
Office Depot *Â Office Max * Walgreens * Rite Aid * Frys * Target * WalMart
Other Ways to Stretch Your Dollar
1) Ask for price matching.
2) Ask for a Rain Check if an item is out of stock.
3) Ask if there are any “”Free with Purchase”” items.
4) Buy supplies for the entire year. Â Composition Books are normally priced 99 cents – $1.50 each. Â Buy extras now at 25 cents. Â If you don’t need them, donate them to a school or charity.
5) Buy on Saturday, ask for a receipt adjustment later in the week. Â Be aware of quantity limits.
A special note to teachers/administrators: Check at the store for your quantity limits. Â For example, Office Depot allows teachers to purchase 35 of an item. Â So this week, teachers could purchase 35 spiral notebooks, 35 rulers and 35 vinyl pouches for a grand total of $1.05 plus tax!
Notes for Savings on School Uniforms
Gap, Old Navy, JP Penny and Sears are offering discounts for uniform items. Â A few tips.
1) If you are shopping in the store and don’t find the size you need, purchase a different size of the same item and exchange it at a later date.
2) Be bold – ask for a rain check if you don’t find what you need.
3) When shopping online, buy the size you think you need and a size up. Â Return what you don’t need.
And as always, check store return policies and keep your receipts handy in case of problems.
Shop’s Open – Marian’s Back to School Supply Store
Originally Posted on: 8/18/2012
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.