Smithsonian Museum Day Live is an annual event hosted by Smithsonian Magazine. On this day, participating museums throughout the US open their doors for free admission to anyone presenting a Museum Day Live! ticket. And every one can afford a ticket, because the tickets are FREE through the Museum Day Live! web site. Each ticket is good for two people.
I love museums. And because of our travel I have visited all sorts from the Smithsonian Air and Space and National Museum of Natural History (had to see the Hope Diamond) to the Arkansas Railroad Museum (to see the Big Boy engine) in the US. Also the British Museum, Lourve and the National Museum of Anthropology in Mexico City. So I think of Museum Day Live! as a love fest between the me and wonderful museums in the Bay area. The other wonderful thing about Museum Day Live! is that the date is always on a Saturday making it easier for families to enjoy the free admission.
A number of the museums on the list offer free admission every day but they get more exposure during the Smithsonian Museum Live! event. Enjoy the day, visit again and bring your friends. Also, feel free to drop a few bucks when you visit either in donation or at the gift shops.
AD: Disney on Ice Dare to Dream Coming to Oracle Arena and SAP Center Click here to buy tickets!
Other Ways to to get Free Admission to Museums:
- Museum free days generally offered by the specific museum once a month. Visit the museum’s web site/event calendar for contact the museum directly.
- Discover & Go which is through local Bay area libraries. Log on using your library card at the Discover and Go web site.
- Open Access offered by the Tech Museum and Bay Area Children’s Museum. Just ask for this courtesy admission.
- Museums on Us by Bank of America offered the first full weekend of each month to BoA and Merril Lynch customers. More details here.
- Celebrate-Family.com free and discounted museum admissions. Click on this link.
SF Bay Area Museums Participating in Smithsonian Museum Day Live! 2015